02 April, 2005

Vegan food.. and more...

We just returned from a nice dinner with friends at a quaint restaurant in Palo Alto - Bay Leaf Café. The restaurant specializes in vegan food. The food was very different and yet very pleasing to the tongue. It is the probably the first time we have been to a non-Indian pure vegetarian eatery in the US.



After dinner, we headed to our friends' residence. What was interesting apart from the food that evening, was what we learnt about Pakistan. These friends are Pakistanis from Lahore. It was enlightening to know how different the administration of Pakistan is, in contrast to India. In my mind, the feeling that life for many would have been so much better had not partition happened arose yet again, as they had when I had read "Freedom at Midnight" last year. Also, I can't help feeling glad that I was born in India and I hope we will be able to play a role in improving our nation. And I also pray that Pakistan awakes to a better future!


I am reminded of one of my favorite verses written by Rabindranath Tagore.


Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free

Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello deepa, thanks for visiting bayleaf, and i'm glad that you like our food. please visit us again! btw, there are many non-indian pure vegetarian restaurants in SF areas. check out www.bayareaveg.com/ug/ incidentally, i have not been to any pure vegetarian (i.e. vegan) indian eateries.

cindy from the bayleaf cafe.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://gjgldgij.com/pbzg/krea.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://abiywryi.com/rxuy/rchl.html]Cool site[/url]

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
My homepage | Please visit

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
http://gjgldgij.com/pbzg/krea.html | http://wzrdofxd.com/xuvt/qnoz.html

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home