03 April, 2005

Mon Anniversaire!

Tis my birthday today! It isn't my 1st birthday... but it is a first of sorts.
My 1st birthday away from my parents, sister & grandmother.
My 1st birthday out of India (read Bangalore).
My 1st birthday as a married woman.



The last year has been a most eventful one. This day, last year, I knew little more than the fact that I was going to be married to Shiv. Everything else was an unknown.

The last year saw many transitions - one from an eligible bachelorette to a married girl (sorry, just couldn't write woman here again - sounds too old to be referring to me ;) ).

Another was the relocation from India to the US. This was a tough decision to make for I would not be accompanied by a job. Also, I was in a very comfortable position in the project I was working in at MindTree. There was even the tempting possibility of a trip to ZΓΌrich, Switzerland and more recognition. On the other hand, moving to the US was a tempting challenge too. It would mean independent time for Shiv and me, away from known society and relatives. Also, the job market not looking too bad here combined with the fact that I was going to come on a L2 visa which allowed for work, seemed to make the opportunity a promising one. After much confusion-filled contemplation, Shiv & me decided to take the chance.

I came with an open mind to a new land which I hoped we would both like. I was also excited because this would be the very first time that I would be living independently which meant more freedom as well as more responsibilities. The first few months saw me learning to drive around (unlearning Indian driving included) and setting up a new home - our home. There are a lot of things I learnt, the most important of them is learning to cook! :)

The biggest transition was moving from a working life to being a homemaker. I had started to work in less than a month of graduation. So, I took this period as a long deserved holiday. I started dabbling with a lot of volunteer activities. When we were trying to decide whether to take up the US opportunity, many warned me that I'd go mad after a couple of months of staying at home. I look back at my last 8 months here and I say, "I could do with a few more free months" :). I am searching for a job now, not so much because I miss working but because it is the time & age to earn and also because it brings in more discipline & confidence in one's life.

It's been a great year - one during which I think I have truly grown. I have also understood myself better in some ways. And I am thankful to have found a most wonderful life partner!

Picture courtesy Y! Greetings.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gowri said...

Well, I'm here through a link on Orkut. Don't ask me how I reached your profile on Orkut, I don't remember it myself!
Anyway, couldn't help but notice the similarities in our lives and I really could identify with some posts on your blog, especially this one, and hence the comment. :-)
Nice blog you have here. Keep writing and best of luck for the job-hunt! :-)

4:20 PM  
Blogger Ram said...

Good post. I can really identify with this prototype since my wife has been on the same boat as you. Good luck on your job search and do write to me about your skillset and I shall try to find something.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Kumari said...

I finally caught up on your blog...thanks for the comment on mine!
This is really a beautiful piece on your transition from plane X to plane Y, without losing reference.

All the best with cooking! coz i know you would excel in the job front and while you are at it, do try to find a job for me too :)

Now off to LiveJournal!

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
[url=http://udbuqbxi.com/xlfv/azfi.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://liezitfp.com/naxf/gnxs.html]Cool site[/url]

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
My homepage | Please visit

4:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you!
http://udbuqbxi.com/xlfv/azfi.html | http://sbftyysx.com/ioaz/spao.html

4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home